<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.thenostalgicattic.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.thenostalgicattic.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Nostalgic Attic: Some memorable toys I got for Christmas when I was a kid

29 December 2014

Some memorable toys I got for Christmas when I was a kid



This time of year always makes me think about what it was like for me and my brothers growing up in the 80's. The excitement of putting up the tree and hanging decorations (usually done just after my birthday, which is in December), and then picking out what we wanted to get from Santa. Of course, by this point in the month we had long decided on what we wanted, usually helped along by staying up for the national Irish tradition of the Late Late Toy Show (the longest running chat show in Ireland that gets invaded by children for the 'toy show' the last weekend every November), and giving plenty of time for our parents to scramble to get those toys we wanted. Saying that, we were pretty simple in our tastes; usually some action figures, books or cars were what we got, with the more expensive Star Wars toys never seemingly on our radar (my mother had probably the good sense to direct us away from those, her poor wallet!). So, here's a small selection of a few of my favourite toys I received in the 80's; not necessarily the best, but ones that really stuck out in my mind, and I still remember them fondly today.



Dino-Riders, 'Tyrannosaurus Rex'



I was a huge fan of Dino-Riders when it launched in '88, as it coincided with my absolute obsession with anything dinosaur-related. The cartoon was good fun (aliens taking control of dinosaurs and equipping them with lasers and bombs - whats not to like?) and the T-Rex set came with the promo VHS that included the exclusive, extended opening episode. Sadly, the cartoon didn't live beyond the initial 13 episodes, but the toys were definitely collectible. 


He-Man and the Masters of the Universe; 'Snake Mountain'



It would have been hard growing up in the '80's without being saturated by 'He-Man' toys and marketing, but as a kid I couldn't get enough of it. Every year, me and my brother Phillip would get an action figure for a present, but one special year I got this lovely piece of memorabilia, and it is easily one of my favourite childhood toys. The box says the "electronic microphone changes your voice into a scary voice of evil!"... In reality, it just sounded distant and echo-ey, but hey, when you're a kid, it's the coolest thing ever! Skeletor kicked plenty of asses on this over the years, and I often wonder what happened to it...


Technic Lego 'Car'



I was big on building things as a kid, so it was no surprise that the 'Technic Lego' kits appealed to me. This one seemed so complicated - it had working gears, and all! - but I have great memories of taking time after Christmas Day to start working on it, and my dad helping me as I went along. Once it was complete, it saw plenty of action - and several modifications - and was definitely one of the best presents 'Santa' ever brought me. 

So there you go - three great pieces from my childhood Christmas files. Did anyone get anything cool and collectible this year? Debbie hit a home run for me this year, and got me this as a surprise; I haven't had a chance to start building it yet, but I can't wait to get stuck in! Happy Christmas everyone!


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 29 December 2014 at 13:56 , Blogger Gina Murphy said...

Ahem!! Where are the more feminine choices?? Like cabbage patch kid, my little pony and the miniature post office with working scales. Awesome 80's!!!

 
At 30 December 2014 at 02:22 , Blogger JP Mulvanetti said...

Well, this was about MY toys, and Ahem! I'm a boy. But saying that, Lego is a non-gender toy, though I didn't know many girls interested in He-Man or Dino-Riders...

My cousin had that post office, though, it got great use! As did the chef kitchen one, too! She also had a few Cabbage Patch kids, though I just found them vaguely creepy...

 
At 3 January 2015 at 20:11 , Blogger Craig Edwards said...

Great stuff! I had two playsets that I still remember fondly - an Enterprise bridge set for the Mego 8'' figures - with "working" transporter - and the Death Star set for the 3-4" Star Wars figures. After those two there are a thousand more I could name - so much fun as a kid!

 
At 4 January 2015 at 03:32 , Blogger JP Mulvanetti said...

I know Craig - it was hard limiting it to just three! As I said, I never had any Star Wars sets myself, but some of my friends did and I got plenty of hands on time with them. Sadly, Star Trek stuff just didn't seem popular among my age group growing up... They are awesome though, and definitely appeal to me more now than when I was a kid!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home