<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.thenostalgicattic.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.thenostalgicattic.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Nostalgic Attic: "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

1 April 2013

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"


You know that warm feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you see something from your childhood that you once loved and cherished? Or that 'butter melt' sensation in the brain when something once forgotten comes slowly back to you? Well, I try to live in the place perpetually. And this is my silly-space to record all of those things that have been pushed up into the attic and are all but forgotten about.

My name is John, and I'm a thirty-something obsessive from Dublin, Ireland. Obsessive of what? All sorts of shiny, collectible stuff, really. I've been a film geek from a very young age, and grew up on a lovely diet of horror, violent action, unsuitable-for-kids comedies and mind boggling (for a ten year old) science fiction. I was also into computer and video games from about the age of six, when my dad first introduced me to the delights of the Spectrum 128K. My dad was pretty cutting edge for mid-80's Ireland. From there me and my brothers jumped into the world of Sega with the Mega Drive, and then onto the Playstation and beyond afterwards. I'm an all-rounder when it comes to video games, but I do still love the old stuff, and enjoy nothing more than wasting hours (and pulling hair out) over old-fashioned couch gaming sessions with friends and family.


These days I tend to collect everything from video tapes to comics, and everything else a young (at heart) man could geek out on. I especially love the artwork and poster design from films, starting from the 70's up until the early 90's, when I believe it died a death with the take-over of 'big head' design formats. When I started this blog, I was saddened to see how many films that I used to love (or at least admired the artwork on the video sleeve) had never been released on DVD, nor will they likely be at this point. Coupled with the shaky, three or four line reviews on the likes of IMDB made me determined to at least try and give some of these films a bit better chance of being appreciated, and maybe loved by someone else. The artwork, and films, deserve some form of preservation; if we don't do it, nobody else will

Outside of these loves, I work in film in various roles. But, I won't be discussing that kind of thing here. I'm also a huge music fan; everything from classic heavy metal through to grindcore and back to classical music itself. And before I forget, I also really, really, really like a nice, tasty beer. Ales and stouts, especially. 


So, I hope you enjoy this little stop-off on memory lane. If there is anything you would like me to cover, or you just want to say something (preferably non death-threat related), you can get me at:

jpmulvanetti@gmail.com.


Labels: